Terms with Racist and derogatory connotations!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum Brothers/Sisters,

I have working knowledge of English, Urdu, Persian and Arabic and my hobby is to read about history, particularly about the colonisation of the Muslim world and break-up of Islamic Caliphate (Khilafa).

Historically, the scholars and historians of Islam have written some very damning pieces about the British/American collaboration in destroying Islam, however in my humble opinion although the tone has been less then cordial, it has never been RACIST!

Conversely the British/American authors and orientalists have also written some very damning pieces about Islam and Muslims but their tone has been less then cordial and RACIST!

My simple point is that we as Muslims should rise above RACIST slurs and connotations and follow the noble Sunnah of Rasul-ullah (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam).

I have now been living in Britain for a number of years and I have noticed a few words which have some racist connotations attached to them, e.g.:

1. Paki (Pakistanees)
2. Guji (Gujarati)
3. Bangor (Bangali)
4. Gora (slang for White Male) [linguistically a person with fair skin]
5. Gori (slang for White Male) [linguistically a person with fair skin]
6. Kala (slang for Black Male) [linguistically a person with dark skin]
7. Kali (slang for Black Female) [linguistically a person with dark skin]

The first three are commonly used in US/Canada etc. but they are used as abbreviations rather then due to their inherent racist connotations.

Yesterday a revert, referred to themselves as a “GOR” and in return I also made a statement referring to a White person as a “GOR”. I know that this person doesn’t mind but I would like to profusely apologise as a Muslim I should behave in an impeccable manner.

In UK the terms 4,5,6 & 7 are so commonly accepted and spoken that the real words are LOST, they are as follows:

6. Angraiz (British Male or Female)
7. Mame (British married Female; the term is more respectable then 1)
8. Farangi (European Male)
9. Farangan (European Female)
10. Amreki (American Male or Female)
11. Habashi (African Male), linguistically a person of Abyssinian distinct adopted due to Sayyidina Bilal (RA) & Sayyidina Kaab (RA) from Arabic
12. Habashan (African Female), linguistically a person of Abyssinian distinct adopted due to Sayyidina Bilal (RA) & Sayyidina Kaab (RA) from Arabic

To this day in Pakistan, India & US terms 6,7,8,9,10,11,12 are used is Urdu and no one talks about GORI, GORA, KALA, KALI. You can openly see references to Brother Yusuf Islam (as Angraiz Muslim) & Imam Siraj Wahaj (as African Muslim).

Most of the times the term for reverts is “Muqami (local)” Muslims versus immigrant Muslims!

Furthermore Asians in US/Canada/Europe (other then UK) generally don’t use terms 4,5,6 & 7 & colloquially and it is considered rude!

I saw an article about “Dr Condoleezza Rice” in a local Pakistani paper which was harsh but NEVER ONCE did the article referred to her in RACIST terms; in contrast the brother (from London) who translated it in the English section used the “N…” word for her. I objected and wrote a letter to say that the translation has been unfair and racists, Al-hum-do-lillah the brother accepted his mistake and published my letter with an apology!

Recently in Birmingham (UK), a scholar stopped and corrected a brother who started his question with “Goray (White men)” and Masha’Allah he said, “We are Muslims and we don’t use these slangs and terms, you can call them Caucasians or Europeans as we both can understand English…Why are you peppering your English with derogatory terms from another language which the scholars of that language don’t use?” He made the brother repeat the question!

My point is brothers/sisters that we do live in unIslamic environments so we need to watch ourselves! We don't need to stoop down to the level of Kuffar!

Many of you may think of me as OTT and think that my post is controversial etc.

BUT...

Yes I am from an upper-class background, I use commas, apostrophise my sentences in my writing and I do part my hair sideways; I teach my kids everyday and read them stories at night. If I am an upper-class snob according to some then be it! :)

I refuse to let go & submit my language, culture, heritage and courtesy (towards Muslims or Non-Muslims) and Insha'Allah my children will be taught the same

P.S: I don't have time for specific examples but anyone can view Fatwa from Muslim scholars and you will NOT find anything other then Angraiz & Mame (in Urdu, Persian) and People of Europe/Europeans (in Arabic) or People of England/English/British (in Arabic)

kayleigh

My fiancé uses kala/kali quite frequently, unfortunately.

I agree with this, but how is "Desi" racist?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Your post is important to educate us. Many do not know the connotations of words. I did not realize that Paki was not a good expression until I read it on tti.
I can only attest to the racisim in the States. I had lived in Europe many moons ago and do not know the current atmosphere.
Racially toned words divide groups. We do not need any more division. You are correct; we must exhibit the best of manners.

Jihan

Salaam,

Your post is important to educate us. Many do not know the connotations of words. I did not realize that Paki was not a good expression until I read it on tti.
I can only attest to the racisim in the States. I had lived in Europe many moons ago and do not know the current atmosphere.
Racially toned words divide groups. We do not need any more division. You are correct; we must exhibit the best of manners.

since paki is not good is better to say pakistani or is that derogatory as well?
since is habashi racist, somalis usually refer to ethiopians as xabashiis?

jakir-bd

BUT...

Yes I am from an upper-class background, I use commas, apostrophise my sentences in my writing and I do part my hair sideways; I teach my kids everyday and read them stories at night. If I am an upper-class snob according to some then be it! :)

salam,

My parents have always told me never to use words like 'upper-class', cos according to them it comes from 'upper-caste' of Hinduism, infact, the word 'jati' found in Hindi/Bengali (or maybe Urdu??) comes from Sanksrit and is related to Caste system.
So, I think Muslims should refran from using words like 'upper-class' and maybe use 'wealthy family or something??', since this word is actually a detoriation of 'upper-caste' related to Hinduism. Similar goes to 'lower-class', which also comes from 'lower-caste'. The Caste system is not a nice system, if u knew how it works, you would not try to relate yourself to it.

P.S - My ancestors belonged to Bengali Brahman family before they became Muslims, and some of my far-distant-relatives are still Hindus. so, yes, I have the right to criticize Caste system.

Globalpeace

Banned
W-Salam,

Your comments are prudent and informative, Masha'Allah & the reference to Juti is topical.

Class-System (which is neither a system nor a framework with fluid mobility) is completely different to Caste-System (which is a loose frame-work with nil or limited mobility) as discussed thoroughly in books of sociology.

However my intention was not to point to a caste-system as it is unIslamic & Haram, and the intention was humorous, hence the smiley face.

P.S: You SHOULD criticise the caste-system and the class-system.

salam,

My parents have always told me never to use words like 'upper-class', cos according to them it comes from 'upper-caste' of Hinduism, infact, the word 'jati' found in Hindi/Bengali (or maybe Urdu??) comes from Sanksrit and is related to Caste system.
So, I think Muslims should refran from using words like 'upper-class' and maybe use 'wealthy family or something??', since this word is actually a detoriation of 'upper-caste' related to Hinduism. Similar goes to 'lower-class', which also comes from 'lower-caste'. The Caste system is not a nice system, if u knew how it works, you would not try to relate yourself to it.

P.S - My ancestors belonged to Bengali Brahman family before they became Muslims, and some of my far-distant-relatives are still Hindus. so, yes, I have the right to criticize Caste system.

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

In some instances it is humorous (involving people of the same race) and other instances it is a racist comment trying to inflict sarcasm & humour on people from India/Pakistan who have recently arrived and speak with an accent etc.!

The UK equivalent of US sarcastic “Desi” is “Freshy” or “Mangetaar (fiancé) “

My fiancé uses kala/kali quite frequently, unfortunately.

I agree with this, but how is "Desi" racist?

kayleigh

Hm..I've never heard "Desi" used in a derogatory way, which is why I asked. Here I've only heard "FOB" used to describe someone who has just arrived and has an accent.

I asked some Indian and Pakistani friends if they had heard "Desi" used in an offensive way and they said no so maybe we just live in a less-racist part of the US haha

jakir-bd

W-Salam,

Class-System (which is neither a system nor a framework with fluid mobility) is completely different to Caste-System (which is a loose frame-work with nil or limited mobility) as discussed thoroughly in books of sociology.

If you are talking about Social-class system which is followed in Western Countries, then Yes its wholly different than Caste-system. From your post, I took into account that you are from Indian sub-continent, and believe it or not, the way class-system is used in Indian sub-continent, it has many similarities with Caste-system. Let me give you one example:-

"The son of a farmer is going (or . will always going) to be a farmer" - a common mentality people have in Indian-continent, as 'Farmers belong to lower-class'. (Yes, his son can become a great personnel, but its the mentality of people who thinks this way). If you know Caste system, then you should know that a 'Sudra /Namasudra' (lower caste) can never dream of what an upper caste can do and people automatically thinks their son/childrens will do the work their ancestors did. So, people today in Indian sub-continent, despite using the word 'class' instead of 'caste' still posssess the mentality of 'caste'. I hope you get the rough idea.

amyaishazouaoui

:salam2:

I really dislike the ue of Kuffar or kafir as a derogatory term to refer to non muslims. Although i understand what it means it is often said with disgust.
It is often surrounded by derogatory comments too.

I was a kuffar one day, so were many of the people on here, never forget that.

:wasalam:

Status
Not open for further replies.