Cheetos, Doritos & Sunchips are Haram!!

truefaith101

~*~I Love Islam~*~
:salam2:

i recently found out that Cheetos, Doritos & Sunchips are Haram!! My mom bought like 10 bags for Sunchips today before knowing that the french onion flavored ones are haram, what should i do with these bags??
My mom said that my lil sisters can eat them because we didn't know, but something in my mind tells me not to give them the chips, any suggestions?:girl3:

Jazakum Allahu kheir!

:wasalam:

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Asalaamu Alaykum

Chuck them in the bin sis, if its haram for you to eat, it doesnt make it halal for your sisters.

SubhanAllah.....learn from this brothers and sisters...

wasalam

salaamalikum,

A friend also told me that Frito-Lay and Doritos have pork in them. Well, I was shocked, I think they use enzymes in making the cheese for their cheetos and doritos that come from pork. I have not called them yet but we should try to find this out and inform others ASAP. Here is their contact info. I will inshallah try to get in touch with them this afternoon.

Frito-Lay
1-800-352-4477,
Monday-Friday, 9:00am-4:30pm.

American Muslim

Just Another Slave
:( Wow, I am officially bummed out now. I'm a trucker and you have just informed me that a modest part of my snackfood is haram....grrrrr.

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
Assalamu alikum Brothers and Sisters,

I was unfortunately a big Doritos addict and my children Cheetos addicts until I got this message one week ago from reliable friends:

Dear Friends,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this weekend my little niece,''.....'', told me that her friends had called Frito-Lay and found out that Doritos have pork in them. Well, I was shocked and a little skeptical. However, when I called the company, they confirmed that their cheese products were not halal. They actually used the term ''halal'', which I found impressive even though the disclosure was disconcerting. She said they use enzymes in making the cheese for their cheetos and and doritos that come from pork. I asked when they started doing this, and she said the last two years they became aware of it.

I wanted to start a petition requesting them to find alternatives, but she said it would be best for individuals to call, because each call i registered. So if you are going to miss cheetos and doritos as much as I am, please call Frito-Lay at 1-800-352-4477 (in the US and Canada), Monday-Friday, 9:00am-4:30pm. Also, pass on this info. to whomever you know.

(this also applies to Lays cheese products, the nonflavored products are fine)

...Just to let you know, calling the company really works, in case you are doubtful of this method. That`s how we Muslims got them to stop putting pork gelatine in Oreo cookies few years back.

suumaya

Asalamu alaykum

OH my i have been eating the sunchip alot lately and i am surprised that it's haram. may Allah forgive me all the ummah for our ignorance..... jazakallah khair sister for letting us know. i will stay a way from all those chips...

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Asalamu Alykum,

Im happy because i disliked doritos, absolutely disgusting, although good to know so Inshallah can pass it on to those who consume them.

Wasalam

American Muslim

Just Another Slave
I just called the number to Frito Lay. At first, the operator kinda denied the pork in doritos. After a few more questions, she admitted that the enzymes used could be beef, or pork, or a combination. When I asked about alternatives, she said she thought they were, because they were getting a lot of calls due to email traffic. So apparently calling them is the way to go.

proud muslim

Assalamu alaikum,

its really shockin to me too..but i have a serious question as i live in the middle east and doritos and cheetos are really very popular products here so is that also implied on those products delivered in the middle east?..if anyone has any info plz inform me..jazakum Allahu khayran

Assalamu alaikum

I spoke with Frito-Lay here is what they told me:

Doritos- contains pork enyzmes, but you can eat the toasted corn Doritos because it has no cheese

Cheetos- contains pork

Fritos- don't have pork, you can eat them

Sunchips- Original Flavored Multigrain Snacks does not have pork, except for the Harvest ones.

Here is a list they referred me that are kosher and DO NOT contain any animal or pork enyzmes (it is on their website-see below):

Triangle K - Dairy
FRITO-LAY® brand Original Trail Mix
FRITO-LAY® brand Sweet Honey Trail Mix
FUNYUNS® brand Onion Flavored Rings
GRANDMA’S® brand Homestyle Chocolate Chip Big Cookies
GRANDMA’S® brand Homestyle Fudge Chocolate Chip Big Cookies
GRANDMA’S® brand Homestyle Oatmeal Raisin Big Cookies
GRANDMA’S® brand Homestyle Peanut Butter Big Cookies
GRANDMA’S® brand Peanut Butter Mini Cookies
GRANDMA’S® brand Peanut Butter Sandwich Cremes
GRANDMA’S® brand Rich ‘N Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
GRANDMA’S® brand Tiny Bites Animal Mini Cookies
GRANDMA’S® brand Vanilla Mini Cookies
GRANDMA’S® brand Vanilla Sandwich Cremes
LAY’S® brand Dill Pickle Flavored Potato Chips
LAY’S® brand Salt & Vinegar Flavored Potato Chips
LAY’S® brand Sour Cream & Onion Flavored Potato Chips
RUFFLES® brand Sour Cream & Onion Flavored Potato Chips

Triangle K
DORITOS® brand Toasted Corn Tortilla Chips
FRITO-LAY® brand BBQ Sunflower Seeds
FRITO-LAY® brand Cashews
FRITO-LAY® brand Dry Roasted Peanuts
FRITO-LAY® brand Flamin’ Hot Sunflower Seeds
FRITO-LAY® brand Honey Roasted Peanuts
FRITO-LAY® brand Hot Peanuts
FRITO-LAY® brand Salted Peanuts
FRITO-LAY® brand Spanish Peanuts
FRITO-LAY® brand Sunflower Kernels
FRITO-LAY® brand Sunflower Seeds
FRITOS® brand BBQ Flavored Corn Chips
FRITOS® brand King Size Corn Chips
FRITOS® brand Original Corn Chips
FRITOS® brand Scoops!® Corn Chips
FRITOS® brand Waves Corn Chips
MUNCHOS® brand Regular Potato Crisps
SANTITAS® brand White Corn Restaurant Style Tortilla Chips
SUNCHIPS® brand Original Flavored Multigrain Snacks
TOSTITOS® brand Bite Size Tortilla Chips
TOSTITOS® brand Crispy Rounds Tortilla Chips
TOSTITOS® brand Restaurant Style Tortilla Chips
TOSTITOS® brand Scoops!® Tortilla Chips

The following Frito-Lay products are certified strictly Kosher or strictly Kosher and Dairy under the Rabbinical supervision of Rabbi J. H. Ralbag, Congregation B’nai Isreal. The certification is effective from August 1, 2005 through August, 2006. If you have any questions, please contact Frito-Lay Consumer Affairs at 1-800-352-4477 from 9:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. Central Time, Monday through Friday.

Source: http://www.fritolay.com/fl/flstore/...ubCat_351852_NavRoot_361689_ProdID_359895.htm

BOY do we need a Halal trademark or what!

walaakum salaam

Your welcome brother.

By the way...what is your chips?

I guess I can't munch on my Doritos or Cheetos any more (may Allah forgive me). I hope inshallah they change their ingridients. We need more people to call them and inform them, so that they become more aware and not just let it stand as one instance thing in which a Muslim calls and complains, because in reality they don't care about one person, but if ALL of us call they'll get the point and go back to the drawing board.

walaakum salaam

truefaith101

~*~I Love Islam~*~
Alsslamualykum

wow u guys r sooo LUCKY in turkey, here in America, u can't trust any brands, in fact, i found many yogurts that contain pork!!!
I hope they're gonna replace the pork w/something else soon....
They put pork in the best chips, now i don't know what to buy!!!

Jazakum Allahu kheir everyone!

Wasslamualykum

salmanzaid

AAAHHHH !!!!!

Muslims of the world, lets start our own businesses and make
our own snack foods, cheese ect - so we won't have to worry about
all this modern speculation in food production.

At the restaurant where I work, we buy cheese from Israel ( yes, I know - I'd rather throw it back at them, but its not my decision ) which is vegetarian ...
that is, no rennet ( which is animal product ).

umm hussain

i hope this website helps it also mentions about the dorito crips/chips and about gelatine being used in apple juice. There are some doritos crisps that say suitable for vegetarian though like the Original Flavour and the Chilli Heatwave. My husband used to buy the cheese ones until I realised that they are not suitable for vegetarian.

http://www.muslimconsumergroup.com/General.do?menu=Home&eventAction=init

Have a look at this as well even crayons contain pork, my children when they are making pictures someimes eat the crayons as well, YUCK
http://www.muslimconsumergroup.com/Events.do?menu=Events&eventAction=eventdetail&eventId=272

EesaDevin

salamu aalaikum, They will never find alteritives, because " we do not make food for Muslims, we make food for the general Population which is pedominatley non-muslim so if they do like our food the way it is, then they shouldn't eat it" <-this is what I was told when I wrote a leter to slim jim to ask if they could make all beef slim jims and jerky snacks. so if we want an alternitive we will have to do it ourselves. american muslims should start our own food companies, with a small green crescent on it so we know which food is halal, we should stop buying food from the regular food stores, because very little of it is halal, and the current American culture and the current Russian culture are not at all compatible with Islam. jazak Allhu Khair.